First general meeting of the Northern League was held in Mather’s Temperance Hotel (later the Tay Hotel) on Saturday 4th April 1891. Eight clubs were elected: Arbroath, Montrose, Forfar Athletic, Our Boys, East End, Harp (all Dundee), St. Johnstone and Aberdeen.
During the 1890’s many Arbroath players headed south to seek fame and fortune with English professional clubs and other top Scottish sides. These transfers included:- Ned Doig to Sunderland; David Willocks to Bolton; David Skea to Villa (Skea played just one game for Villa, a 4-1 win over Notts County on 31st December 1892; he scored one of the Villa goals), David Storrier to Everton.; Sam Meston to Stoke; Willie Maxwell to Hearts and then Stoke; Albert Buick to Hearts and later Portsmouth; Dave Nicoll to Bolton; George McWattie to Queen’s Park
Arbroath win the Forfarshire District Charity Cup by beating Montrose 6-0.
Doig capped by Scotland (the only player in the club’s 125 year history to have been capped whilst on Arbroath’s books).
Goalkeeper Ned Doig makes his debut for Arbroath
Arbroath 36, Bon Accord 0 – a world record score that stands to this day. Jocky Petrie scored 13 goals – also a record which remains unmatched.
Professional football legalised in Scotland.
Arbroath defeat Rangers 4-3 at Gayfield in a Scottish Cup match but the visitors complained that the pitch wasn’t wide enough. The SFA orders a replay and Rangers win 8-1
Forfarshire Football Association formed: 18 teams joined, including two from Arbroath. The first Forfarshire Cup Final was in December 1883 and Arbroath beat Dundee Harp 2-1 at Rollo’s Pier. Attendance: 5000.
Maroon strips worn for first time. The club previously played in narrow black and white hoops. First club captain: John Devlin was invited to play for Rangers. Along with Billy Steele, he later joined Bolton Wanderers (first Arbroath players to move south).
Acquisition of Gayfield (former refuse dump). The first game at Gayfield was a 2-1 Scottish Cup win over Rob Roy of Callander The first regular home pitch was established on the Hospitalfield Estate opposite the Faces between the sea and railway line.
Arbroath Football Club was formed in July 1878 following a meeting in the George Hotel, Commerce Street. The club’s roots date back to earlier that year, however, when a group of Arbroath rugby players invited the Dundee football club, St Clements, to play in a demonstration game at the Low Common. St. Clements won the game 4-0. The newly formed Arbroath FC played its first official game at Woodville in September 1878 when Our Boys, Dundee were beaten 3-0 in a Scottish Cup tie. Bruce, Milne and Alexander were the scorers and the team was:- W. Schollay, J. Devlin, Cowie…