Arbroath 3 – 0 Airdrieonians – Match Report


Arbroath 3 – 0 Airdrieonians – Match Report

Arbroath 3 – 0 Airdrieonians – Match Report

Match Highlights

Dick Campbell

Kieran Shanks

Arbroath made 5 changes from our friendly played on Wednesday night as in came Derek Gaston, Ricky Little, Michael McKenna, Bobby Linn and Scott Stewart as Airdrieonians visited Gayfield with the winner knowing they would top Group E.

Arbroath attacked the Harbour end in the first half but it was the visitors who had the first big chance of the game in the 6th minute. A long ball over the top fell to ex Lichtie Callum Smith, but Derek Gaston was quick off his line and made a big block before getting back up on his feet and saving a Callum Gallagher header on the rebound before Thomas O’Brien cleared.

Arbroath’s first half chance came in the 8th minute when a Jason Thomson cross was met by David Gold but his looping header was wide.

Arbroath did take the lead in the 12th minute, slightly against the run of play. Gold won a header in midfield before finding Bobby Linn who fed in Scott Stewart. As David Hutton came running out, Stewart won the race to the ball and his cut back was swept into he net by Michael McKenna for his his first goal of the season.

Airdrieonians didn’t let up and Gaston denied a Adam Frizzell cross from the byline. In the 27th minute Thomas O’Brien was booked for a foul on Gallagher which looks like he will be suspended for the second round after picking up his second yellow card in the group stage.

Player / Manager Rhys McCabe took the free kick but it looped over Gaston’s bar.

Gabby McGill tried to lob Gaston in the 28th minute but his shot curled the wrong way and was cleared by Thomson.

Again the League One side threatened, this time the ball fell to Callum Smith and as he closed in on goal at a tight angle his fierce shot was blocked by Gaston for a corner kick.

In the 39th minute a cross from Bobby Linn again found the head of David Gold but his header was a simple catch for David Hutton.

Just before the break Bobby Linn cut in and unleashed a low dipping shot but again Hutton was down to make the save.

Half Time Stats – Arbroath 1 – 0 Airdrieonians

Possession – Arbroath 57% – 43% Airdrieonians

Total Shots – Arbroath 6 – 7 Airdrieonians

On Target – Arbroath 3 – 4 Airdrieonians

Off Target – Arbroath 1 – 3 Airdrieonians

Blocked – Arbroath 2 – 0 Airdrieonians

Corners – Arbroath 3 – 1 Airdrieonians

Saves – Arbroath 4 – 2 Airdrieonians

Fouls Committed – Arbroath 6 – 2 Airdrieonians

Arbroath came out all guns blazing in the second half and doubled their lead just 90 seconds after the restart. A cross from Colin Hamilton was hit on the half volley by Gold, which Hutton did well to get down and save, but his save landed at the feet of Kieran Shanks who netted his first senior competitive goal!

Arbroath then enjoyed a 10 minute spell of intense pressure. Ricky Little headed over after a fantastic cross from Thomas O’Brien before Jason Thomson stung the gloves of Hutton with an angled strike in the 51st minute.

Bobby Linn then shot but it was right at Hutton, before Nicky Low smashed a volley from 25 yards at Hutton. Just seconds later Nicky Low again hit a 25 yard strike, from a near identical position and again Hutton saved.

Jason Thomson made it 3-0 on the hour mark. Thomson surged down the wing before releasing Stewart whose cross was controlled by Low who took a touch then hit a shot which Hutton saved, but again the rebounded shot was met and this time Thomson headed into the empty net.

Arbroath kept pushing and a lovely passing move seen the ball fall to Colin Hamilton whose shot was saved by Hutton.

Colin Hamilton at the other end got into a tussle with Frizzell but Hamilton was able to head clear the header away from the line.

In the 67th minute Michael McKenna, Scott Stewart, Thomas O’Brien and Kieran Shanks all left the pitch with James Craigen, Keaghan Jacobs, Daniel Fosu and Dale Hilson coming on.

Bobby Linn looked to add a fourth but was ruled off side, which looked like a very close call.

It was Linn’s last action as he was replaced by Dylan Paterson in the 74th minute but another great display by Bobby.

In the 75th minute Nicky Low freed Dale Hilson who played in Daniel Fosu. McCabe made an excellent tackle, before Fosu managed to get the ball again at his feet, but again Hutton was in the right place.

Arbroath were forced to play with 10 minute seconds after that after David Gold picked up an injury and all substitutes had already been used.

This gave Airdrieonians more space and substitute Kouider Aissa had a volley blocked before firing over the bar from a tight angle.

A great win, and 4 great performances for Arbroath who scored 10 goals, conceded 1, hit 12 points and made it 4 wins from 4!

Full Time Stats – Arbroath 3 – 0 Airdrieonians

Possession – Arbroath 55% – 45 Airdrieonians

Total Shots – Arbroath 19 – 11 Airdrieonians

On Target – Arbroath 13 – 5 Airdrieonians

Off Target – Arbroath 3 – 5 Airdrieonians

Blocked – Arbroath 3 – 1 Airdrieonians

Corners – Arbroath 6 – 5 Airdrieonians

Saves – Arbroath 5 – 10 Airdrieonians

Fouls Committed – Arbroath 10 – 7 Airdrieonians

1 – Derek Gaston
2 – Jason Thomson
3 – Colin Hamilton
4 – Ricky Little
5 – Thomas O’Brien © (Jacobs 67)
6 – Nicky Low
7 – David Gold
8 – Michael McKenna (Fosu 67)
12 – Scott Stewart (Craigen 67)
11 – Bobby Linn (Paterson 74)
16 – Kieran Shanks (Hilson 67)

Arbroath Substitutes
9 – Dale Hilson – 16; 67th
10 – Keaghan Jacobs – 5; 67th
14 – Dylan Paterson – 11; 74th
15 – Luke Donnelly
27 – Daniel Fosu – 8; 67th
28 – James Craigen – 12; 67th
21 – Cammy Gill (GK)

Goals – McKenna 12, Shanks 48, Thomson 60

Yellow Card – O’Brien 27

18 – David Hutton
20 – Cole Gibson (Gunn 67)
19 – Euan Deveney
6 – Callum Fordyce (c)
16 – Craig Watson
4 – Rhys McCabe
17 – Justin Devenny
23 – Gabriel McGill (Kouider Aissa 55)
9 – Callum Gallagher
10 – Adam Frizzell
11 – Callum Smith

Airdrieonians Substitutes
7 – Salim Kouider Aissa – 23; 55th
21 – Ryan Gunn – 20; 67th
24 – Joshua Tran
25 – Alasdair Spalding
1 – Joshua Rae (GK)

Attendance 1170


Referee – David Dickinson
Assistant Referee 1 – Sean Carr
Assistant Referee 2 – Michael McDermid