Ayr United v Arbroath KO 15:00 07/08

Arbroath 1 – 1 Dundee

26th January 2021

Arbroath 1 – 1 Dundee

Ladbrokes Championship – Game 14 – Season 2020 / 2021

Friday 22nd January 2021, Gayfield Park, Arbroath, 7.45pm kick off

Arbroath FC Commentator and journalist Ewan Smith spoke to Arbroath Manager Dick Campbell and Captain Thomas O’Brien after the full time whistle on Friday.

Arbroath welcomed Dundee to Gayfield Park on Friday night in the live BBC Scotland match under the lights.

Arbroath were able to welcome back Ricky Little and gave starts to Scott Stewart and Michael Ruth, with Mark Whatley and Jake Davidson dropping to the bench with Kris Doolan missing from the squad.

It was the first home game of 2021 for Arbroath and despite the absence of the traditional Gayfield wind, it was bitterly cold with the referee inspecting certain parts of the pitch before kick off as the temperatures dropped.

It was Dundee who took the centre as they attacked the Pleasureland end and made a bright start. There was little in terms of chances in the opening minutes with Arbroath trying to break down the left through James Craigen.

Arbroath conceded their 5th penalty of the season, and the 4th to a handball as Referee Greg Aitken pointed to the spot after Thomas O’Brien hand struck the ball after Osman Sow latched on to a Jordan McGhee cross.

Charlie Adam took charge of the ball and the Dundee Captain fired high and to the left into the back of the net to give Dundee the lead after just 8 minutes. Arbroath keeper Derek Gaston did get his gloves to the ball but the sheer force of Adam’s penalty was unstoppable.

McGhee was forced off with a shoulder injury in the 15th minute unable to carry on from an earlier fall and was replaced by Cammy Kerr.

In the 25th minute a bursting run down the right wing by Michael Ruth set up Arbroath’s first real chance. Ruth found Dale Hilson and his cross was met by Scott Stewart in the middle of the box, but Stewart under pressure from Adam was unable to fully connect and the chance was missed.

Dundee really should have doubled their lead in the 30th minute when Paul McGown and Adam combined to lay up Danny Mullen but his left footed shot struck the bar from just 12 yards out.

Young Rangers loanee Ben Williamson was catching the eye on his home debut and he won a foul in the 37th minute after being taken out by Lee Ashcroft. The 19-year-old showed great confidence to take the ball and his well struck free kick was just over the bar.

Dundee’s Christie Elliot was the first name in the Referee’s book after taking out Stewart as he threatened to break free on the half way line in the 39th minute.

Another injury forced Dundee to make another substitution just 5 minutes from the interval as Jonathan Afolabi came on for the injured Mullen.

Michael Ruth was next player to be booked as he caught Adam in the 40th minute. Two minutes later and Jason Thomson headed wide from an Arbroath free kick.

Charlie Adam’s name was also added to the Referee’s notebook on the stroke of half time for dissent.

With the first half in added injury time Arbroath keeper Derek Gaston kept his side in the game with a stunning reflex save as he blocked an Osman Sow shot with his right foot.

Half time – Arbroath 0 – 1 Dundee

Dundee’s evening took another blow with experienced defender Liam Fontaine was forced off with an injury just 10 minutes into the second half with Jordon Foster coming on as a direct replacement.

James Craigen pooped up with a shot for Arbroath in the 58th minute but really had more time and should have done better but his shot was high and wide. It was to be his last involvement as Bobby Linn replaced him on the hour mark.

Linn wasted little time to make an impact as his corner kick in the 65th minute was met by unmarked defender Ricky Little who gave Jack Hamilton no chance with a bullet header from 6 yards.

Michael McKenna came on for Scott Stewart just 60 seconds later, then Luke Donnelly came on for David Gold in the 70th minute as Dick Campbell went looking for the win.

Arbroath had taken a huge boost from the goal and were really taking the game to Dundee, so it was against the run of play when Charlie Adam showed his skill and creativity with a fierce shot in the 73rd minute which Derek Gaston did well to put away for a corner kick.

Bobby Linn normally would have burst the net but his strike in the 74th minute was high and wide.

However Arbroath kept coming and substitute Luke Donnelly and Dale Hilson enjoying the best move of the match, but the angle was tight and Hilson’s shot was straight at Hamilton where if he looked up he could have found a team mate.

Bobby Linn and Michael Ruth had a shot wide and blocked as Arbroath went looking for the winner, and Linn had another chance in the 83rd minute as Michael McKenna played him in but he couldn’t get his boot under the ball properly and Hamilton made the save.

Dundee caught a second wind and in the dying moments of the game Arbroath found themselves under pressure with Dundee winning two corners in quick succession.

As the game ran deep into injury time there was one last moment of brilliance from Arbroath Captain Thomas O’Brien. A delightful ball from Charlie Adam had beat Gaston and with Osman Sow waiting to head the ball into the empty net O’Brien threw himself at the ball clearing the danger and earning his team a deserved point.

Full Time – Arbroath 1- 1 Dundee

Another showing of resilience and fight from Arbroath who came back for the second week in a row to earn a point. With very little between the teams, Arbroath just need a proven goalscorer to convert these draws into victories.

The Lichties travel to Greenock on Saturday to face Morton in their rescheduled Championship match.

Possession – Arbroath 52% – 48% Dundee
Total Shots – Arbroath 10 – 6 Dundee
On Target – Arbroath 3 – 3 Dundee
Off Target – Arbroath 5 – 3 Dundee
Blocked – Arbroath 2 – 0 Dundee
Corners – Arbroath 3 – 7 Dundee
Fouls Committed – Arbroath 12 – 12 Dundee


1 – Derek Gaston
2 – Jason Thomson
3 – Colin Hamilton
4 – Ricky Little
5 – Thomas O’Brien (c)
7 – David Gold (Donnelly 70)
9 – Dale Hilson
12 – Scott Stewart (McKenna 66)
16 – Michael Ruth
18 – Ben Williamson
28 – James Craigen (Linn 60)

6 – Mark Whatley
8 – Michael McKenna – 12; 66th
10 – Gavin Swankie
11 – Bobby Linn – 28; 60th
15 – Luke Donnelly – 7; 70th
17 – Jake Davidson
21 – Scott Gallacher (GK)

Goal – Little 65

Yellow Card – Ruth 40


1 – Jack Hamilton
16 – Christie Elliott
4 – Liam Fontaine (Forster 55)
14 – Lee Ashcroft
23 – Jordan Marshall
3 – Jordan McGhee (Kerr 15)
8 – Shaun Byrne
26 – Charlie Adam (c)
10 – Paul McGowan
21 – Osman Sow
9 – Danny Mullen (Afolabi 39)


2 – Cammy Kerr – 3; 15th
5 – Jordon Forster – 4; 55th
17 – Jonathan Afolabi – 9; 39th
19 – Finlay Robertson
24 – Max Anderson
25 – Lyall Cameron
13 – Adam Legzdins (GK)

Goal – Adam 8 pen

Yellow Card – Elliot 39, Adam 45


Referee – Greg Aitken
Assistant Referee 1- Kylie McMullan
Assistant Referee 2 – Craig Ferguson
Fourth Official; Gavin Ross

Sign Up to our Newsletter

© 2021 Arbroath FC | SC276703