shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Hibernian vs Arbroath – BetFredCup – Group D

Hibernian 6 - 1 Arbroath
25 Jul 2017 - 19:45Easter Road, Edinburgh

Hibernian 6 – 1 Arbroath – Match Summary

Betfred Cup Group D – Match 3 – Season 2017 / 2018

Saturday 25th July 2017, Easter Road, Edinburgh – 7.45pm kick off

The Lichties suffered a heavy defeat at Easter Road this evening in their 3rd round match against Premier League Side Hibernian.

Arbroath manager Dick Campbell named a strong line up but after having originally listed Ricky Gomes to start in goal it was in fact David Hutton who ran out, with Ricky tweeting after the game that he couldn’t finish the warm up due to concussion. The keeper clearly still feeling the after effects of the blow to the face and mouth injuries he suffered against Alloa.

Neil Lennon named a strong line up which included former Lichtie Simon Murray, and Murray had the perfect chance to opening the scoring within 60 seconds after a defensive error allowed him in, but as we have seen already this season the Arbroath defence have the offside trap well worked and it would cause the Hibernian players and supporters frustration all evening.

The offside flag denied Murray his opening goal as he used his pace to run around Hutton in a move we were so used to see whilst he was at Gayfield but as Easter Road celebrated, they were soon made aware that the linesman flag was raised for offside.

The pace of Hibernian’s forwards were creating lots of problems for the Lichties and when the men in maroon did win possession it was uncharacteristically their final pass which was letting them down.

Steven Doris beat the Hibs offside trap as he picked up possession and fired a powerful shot at the Hibs goal but Ross Laidlaw was on hand to make the save in the 13th minute.

Simon Murray did get on the score sheet in the 18th minute when he rose highest to head a David Gray cross past Hutton to give the home side the lead.

Ryan Porteous, who spent last season on loan at Edinburgh City and who has been linked in the press with a loan move to Gayfield won a penalty after Ricky Little was adjudged to have clipped him. Former St Johnstone man Danny Swanson beat Murray to the ball but his penalty was high and to the left of Hutton’s goal.

If Hibernian had done their homework then they would have known that a Ryan McCord and Bobby Linn short corner was a real danger after proving successful on many occasion last season.

Well the routine also works against the full times teams and quick thinking by McCord and Linn allowed Linn to pick up the corner in the 18 yard box before turning and playing a looping ball into the 6 yard box where Steven Doris met it at the back post to equalise for the Lichties in the 38th minute!

It looked like Arbroath were going to be at level terms going into half time, but seconds before the half time whistle Porteous thumped a header from a John McGinn cross past Hutton to give the hosts at the break.

Half time – Hibernian 2 – 1 Arbroath

Dick Campbell must have given one hell of a half time team talk as the Lichties came out for the second half and in the opening 6 minutes enjoyed some beautiful passing moves and Ross Laidlaw pulled off a spectacular save from a 20 yard Danny Denholm strike which was headed to the top corner.

It also appeared that in a tactical switch David Gold had moved into midfield with Mark Whatley switching to right back at the start of the second half.

Although just as it looked like the Lichties were fighting their way back into the match, cruelly Hibernian scored two goals in 2 minutes to put the game and result beyond doubt.

The pace again of Hibs especially down the wings were creating problems for the Lichties and Simon Murray netted his second in the 51st minute after being teed up by Martin Boyle, then before Arbroath had even time to organise and set themselves back up the 4th goal flew in.

It was probably the best goal of the evening for Hibernian as Scotland winger John McGinn curled in a beauty into the top right hand corner from the left channel.

Thomas O’Brien showed his striking skills as he smashed a 30 yard shot at goal on the hour mark which Laidlaw could only parry before throwing his body at it to smother it at the second attempt.

Danny Swanson who had already missed a penalty was lucky only to be shown a yellow card as he flew into Danny Denholm at full pace with referee Steven Finnie brandishing the card within seconds. It was to be his last contribution as he was substituted and replaced by Fraser Murray.

Arbroath made a double substitution on the 68th minute with Josh Skelly and Omar Kader coming on for David Gold and Bobby Linn.

Scott Martin replaced John McGinn in the 70th minute, then 4 minutes later both teams made their final changes. Oil Shaw replaced Liam Fontaine for Hibs and Gavin Swankie made a return to action as he replaced Ryan McCord.

Hibernian kept on threatening but efforts from Steven Whittaker and Fraser Murray didn’t bother Hutton with Swankie hitting a strike for the Lichties in the 82nd minute but his shot was wide right of Laidlaw’s goal.

It looked like the came was coming to an end but in the final minutes the power and full time fitness of Hibernian combined with the Lichtie’s 7th game in 19 days resulted in 2 final goals.

Ryan Porteous who was named man of the match scored his second header of the night after being set up by Efe Ambrose and then with the final kick of the game a deflected cross from Steven Whittaker allowed Murray to pounce at the back post for a simple volley to grab his hat trick.

Full time – Hibernian 6 – 1 Arbroath

The scoreline doesn’t tell the full story. Arbroath showed some nice moves and Steven Doris got on the scoresheet for the 4th time in 7 games. Arbroath’s defence held up for long periods against lightning quick attackers and more importantly Arbroath had a go. The fitness levels are hitting top form and Dick Campbell is getting a chance to use and see all of his 19 man squad before the league starts a week on Saturday. The players did themselves proud.

Thank you to the 189 supporters who made the long trip down to Edinburgh after work on a Tuesday. We hope you all got home safely.

C’mon the Lichties!

Possession – Hibernian 63% – 37% Arbroath
Total Shots – Hibernian 24 – 6 Arbroath
On Target – Hibernian 10 – 4 Arbroath
Off Target – Hibernian 9 – 2 Arbroath
Blocked – Hibernian 5 – 0 Arbroath
Corners – Hibernian 11 – 2 Arbroath
Fouls Committed – Hibernian 9 – 6 Arbroath


21 – Ross Laidlaw
36 – Ryan Porteous
24 – Efe Ambrose
5 – Liam Fontaine (Shaw 74)
2 – David Gray (c)
11 – Danny Swanson (F. Murray 64)
3 – Steven Whittaker
7 – John McGinn (Martin 70)
16 – Lewis Stevenson
17 – Martin Boyle
15 – Simon Murray


32 – Oliver Shaw – 5; 74th
6 – Marvin Bartley
30 – Calum Crane
26 – Scott Martin – 7; 70th
33 – Fraser Murray – 11; 64th
45 – Ben Stirling
1 – Ofir Martziano

Goals – S. Murray 18, 51, 90+1), Porteous 45, 88, McGinn 53

Booking – Swanson 61


1 – David Hutton
2 – David Gold (Kader 68)
3 – Colin Hamilton
4 – Ricky Little
5 – Thomas O’Brien
6 – Mark Whatley (c) 
7 – Danny Denholm
8 – Ryan McCord (Swankie 74) 
9 – Steven Doris
10 – Blair Yule 
11 – Bobby Linn (Skelly 68)


12 – Bryan Prunty
14 – Kane Hester
15 – Omar Kader – 2; 68th
16 – Jamie Henry
17 – Josh Skelly – 11; 68th
18 – Gavin Swankie – 8; 74th
21 – Ricky Gomes (GK)

Goal – Doris 38

Attendance – 4856 (189 Lichties)

Referee – Stephen Finnie
Assistant Referee 1 – John McCrossan
Assistant Referee 2 – David McKniff

This is a demo store for testing purposes — no orders shall be fulfilled. Dismiss