shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Edinburgh Arbroath 7 Jan 2017

Edinburgh City 0 - 2 Arbroath
07 Jan 2017 - 15:00Meadowbank Stadium, Edinburgh

Edinburgh City 0 – 2  Arbroath – Match Report

Match Day 19 – Ladbrokes League 2 – Season 2016 / 2017

Saturday 7th January 2017, Meadowbank Stadium, Edinburgh, 3.00pm kick off

Arbroath travelled to the Capital on Saturday afternoon knowing that they would be facing the current form team in League 2.   After defeating East Stirlingshire in the play-offs Gary Jardine’s Edinburgh City initially struggled to find an elusive win but made the break through when they first knocked out Forfar Athletic in a Scottish Cup Replay before securing their first ever league win at Links Park a week later.

Since then, they have went on an unbeaten run dating back to the 15th of October and have been the only team to register a win at Gayfield.  A well organised and packed defence with a midfield who are quick to release the ball to striker Ousman See have seen the Citizens climb up the table earning praise and new supporters along the way.

It was therefore imperative that the Lichties could snatch an early goal and make Edinburgh City come out and attack and this was reflective in Dick Campbell’s starting line up.

New signing Bryan Hodge missed out alongside Josh Skelly but there was a place in the starting line up for former Stirling Albion and Alloa Athletic winger, Eddie Ferns with Jassem Sukar also returning to the starting line up after serving a two match suspension.

Arbroath started with Ricky Gomes (GK), David Gold (RB), Ricky Little (CB), Colin Hamilton (CB), Jassem Sukar (LB), Omar Kader (RM), Ryan McCord (CM), Mark Whatley (CM), Bobby Linn (LM), Steven Doris (ST) and Eddie Ferns (ST).

With injuries and Michael Dunlop and Gary Phillips moving to Berwick Rangers the Lichties only listed 6 substitutes – Martin Scott (ST), Bryan Prunty (ST), Gavin Malin (MF), Liam Callaghan (MF), Josh Thomson (RB) and Ryan Stewart (GK)

Arbroath in all maroon kicked off at Meadowbank on a heavy pitch as Edinburgh in white and black attacked towards Leith.   Despite facing a 5-4-1 formation the Lichties soon started to find space to attack as David Gold flashed a ball across the goal in the opening minutes. 

A run by Bobby Linn was halted by a challenge by Aaron Dunsmore but Linn got back to his feet before finding Steven Doris who hit tried a shot from 20 yards but his strike rose harmlessly over Andrew Stobie’s goal.  Arbroath had another shot from almost the same spot when Linn controlled a headed clearance and directed it into the path of Mark Whatley whose low shot was just wide of Stobie’s goal.

Colin Hamilton took a short free kick on the half way line after Jassem Sukar was fouled, passing the ball to Ricky Little.  Little’s low pass found Doris who turned his man before sliding a pass through a gap in the City defence.   New signing Ferns showed his lightning quick pace and beat Stobie to the ball.  His right foot shot slid over the keeper but was given a helping hand into the back of the net by Ryan Porteous who tried to clear the ball but ended up helping the ball into the back of the net.   It was a dream debut for Ferns and gave Arbroath the early goal they needed in the 10th minute.

The goal certainly did force Edinburgh City into attacking the Arbroath goal and they started to enjoy a long period of possession.   A fantastic pass by Mark Laird allowed Ousman See to run in at Ricky Gomes but he was followed by Jassem Sukar who managed to get a leg across See and knock the ball from his path.  The Edinburgh City fans made a half hearted attempt for a penalty but referee Gavin Ross was right behind play and Sukar made a great challenge.

It was Sukar again who came to Arbroath’s rescue after an Edinburgh City throw in flew towards the Arbroath goal off the head of Ryan McCord but just as Mark McConnell was ready to pounce Sukar stepped in and the ball was eventually cleared by Colin Hamilton at the second attempt.

Arbroath came close to adding to their lead when McCord found Linn in space in the 28th minute.  Linn played in a teasing ball and a sliding run by Omar Kader just missed the ball as Stobie collected.

Edinburgh’s Chris McKee was unhappy after he was deemed to have fouled but despite escaping a booking, he was soon booked after he continue to voice his frustrations to the referee before he was replaced by Ross Allum seconds later.

Eddie Ferns won a free kick 28 yards from goal but Ryan McCord’s free kick wasn’t powerful enough to trouble Stobie.

Ryan McCord picked up a yellow card for a sliding tackle on Gordon Donaldson before Ousman See was also booked for a foul on McCord after having escaped an off the ball incident earlier in the half which left Colin Hamilton in a heap.

Half time – Edinburgh City 0 – 1 Arbroath

Gavin Malin replaced Ryan McCord at half time for the Lichties in a straight swap.   

Steven Doris won a free kick 24 yards out early in the second half after being bundled off the ball by Joe Mbu.  Doris took responsibility but his right foot shot was wide to the left of the City goal.

Gavin Malin picked up the ball from a knockdown and fed Ferns who won a foul outside of the City box  towards the corner flag.  Aaron Dunsmore was booked for the challenge before Marc Laird also found himself in the referee’s notebook for something said off the ball.

The free kick was taken by Gavin Malin and his curling right foot strike was punched clear for a corner by Stobie.

The best move of the match should have resulted in Arbroath’s second goal.  Gavin Malin put pressure on Laird, doing enough to get a touch to David Gold before finding Kader who returned the ball to Malin who sent a ball over the top to Ferns.   As Ferns crossed the ball into the box a flying lunge by Doris just missed the ball but Kader picked up and passed to Malin but as the defence tried to get back to their feet his shot was high over the bar as he leaned back to pull the trigger.

Another Arbroath attack involved Malin again as he showed great feet to lose a defender before treading the ball through to Ferns managed to fend off Mbu but was forced wide.

It was an attack by Edinburgh City which resulted in Arbroath breaking away to score their second goal in the 64th minute.  Two balls in quick succession into the Arbroath box were both cleared and it was a long clearance by Gold which was picked up by Mbu just inside the Arbroath half.  Steven Doris showed great determination to win the ball and as he slid the ball forward to Bobby Linn he was taken out by Mbu but Referee Ross waved advantage and Linn was free to run as a 3 on 1 counter attack swept towards the City goal.   Linn’s cross took out Donaldson who was the sole defender and as the ball went past Ferns it was Kader who let the ball run across his body before unleashing a right foot shot past Stobie and into the back of the net.

Gary Jardine introduced Craig Beattie for Mark McConnell as he tried to inspire his team into a comeback.   An inspired run by Donaldson allowed Gair to cross into the middle but again Gomes went untroubled as the ball flew past the Arbroath goal.

Experienced striker Craig Beattie did have a great chance when See nodded a Donaldson pass to the back post but his right foot shot was high and over the bar.   

Arbroath manager Dick Campbell was forced to take off Steven Doris as the striker picked up a knock with Bryan Prunty coming on to replace him in the 72nd minute and then 2 minutes later brought on Martin Scott for Eddie Ferns who has given the Lichties a new attacking option.  Dean Cummings came on for Ian McFarland in the 79th minute as City also made their final substitution

Edinburgh City’s best chance of the game was made by Craig Beattie as he latched onto a flick showing great footwork to lose Hamilton allowing space to be created to fire a shot at goal but Gomes was ready and dived low pushing the ball round his post for a corner kick.

Ousman See flashed another dangerous cross the Arbroath box before a minute later almost latched on to a through ball but his knock down was fired high over the bar by Cummings.

The full time whistle soon followed and it was a professional performance from the Lichties.

Full time – Edinburgh City 0 – 2 Arbroath

The early goal forced Edinburgh City to attack but a team heavy on defenders failed to really test the Arbroath defence which has now 4 clean sheets in 5 games and with 2 home games to come they must keep up the pressure on Forfar Athletic.

C’mon the Lichties!


Possession – Edinburgh City 48% – 52% Arbroath
Total Shots – Edinburgh City 8 – 7 Arbroath
On Target – Edinburgh City 1 – 3 Arbroath
Off Target – Edinburgh City 7 – 4 Arbroath
Blocked – Edinburgh City 0 – 0 Arbroath
Corners – Edinburgh City  6 – 5 Arbroath
Fouls Committed – Edinburgh City 16 – 11 Arbroath

Edinburgh City

1 – Andrew Stobie

2 – Aaron Dunsmore

3 – Gordon Donaldson

4 – Ryan Porteous

5 – Mark Laird

6 – Christopher McKee (Allum 34)

7 – Ian McFarland (Cummings 79)

8 – Dougie Gair (c)

9 – Ousman See

11 – Mark McConnell (Beattie 64)

21 – Joseph Mbu


12 – Craig Beattie – 11; 64th

14 – John Dunn

15 – Dean Cummings – 7; 79th

16 – Jordan Caddow

17 – Ross Allum – 6; 34th

18 – Shaun Harrison

20 – Calum Antell (GK)

Yellow Card – McKee 32, See 45+2, Dunsmore 55, Laird 56


1 – Ricky Gomes

2 – David Gold

3 – Jassem Sukar

4 – Ricky Little

5 – Colin Hamilton

6 – Mark Whatley (c)

7 – Omar Kader

8 – Ryan McCord (Malin 46)

9 – Steven Doris (Prunty 72)

10 – Eddie Ferns (T) (Scott 74)

11 – Bobby Linn


12 – Martin Scott – 10; 74th

14 – Bryan Prunty – 9; 72nd

15 – Gavin Malin – 8;46th

16 – Liam Callaghan

17 – Josh Thomson

21 – Ryan Stewart (GK)

Yellow Card – McCord 44

Goals – Ferns 10, Kader 64

Attendance – 481

Referee – Gavin Ross
Assistant Referee 1 – David McGeachie
Assistant Referee 2 – Daniel McFarlane

This is a demo store for testing purposes — no orders shall be fulfilled. Dismiss