shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Clyde Arbroath 10 Sep 2016

Clyde 3 - 2 Arbroath
10 Sep 2016 - 15:00Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld

Clyde 3 – 2 Arbroath – Match Report

Match day 5 – Ladbrokes League 2 – Season 2016 / 2017

Saturday 10th September 2016, Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld, 3.00pm kick off

Arbroath returned to action on Saturday as they travelled down to Cumbernauld to take on Barry Ferguson’s Clyde. Broadwood Stadium had been kind to the Lichties in recent years with some stunning performances and spectacular goals.

The Lichties were looking for their 3rd win in a row and made two changes to the starting line up which defeated Stirling Albion a fortnight ago with Jason Brown coming in to replace Gary Phillips and Martin Scott returning from injury with David Gold dropping to the bench.

That meant a back four of Little, Brown, Sukar and Hamilton in front of Mutch in goal. Kader started on the right wing with Linn on the left with Scott returning to join Whatley in the middle with Skelly and Doris up front.

Arbroath were able to list a strong bench with Prunty, Hester, Callaghan, Phillips, McCord, Gold and Gomes.

Broadwood was hot and sunny but windy in the exposed corners of the stadium as the Lichties kicked off playing head to toe in maroon. Both sides had won 5-3 in their last match so it wasn’t too much surprise that the game quickly erupted into life with more goals.

Clyde striker Dylan Easton was given time to turn and look up in the middle of the Arbroath half before finding Scott Linton who was advancing down the Arbroath left wing. Linton picked up the ball, before cutting inside losing his man before shooting from just outside of the box with the ball making it’s way past a crowded box with keeper Mutch unable to see the ball until it was upon him.

Arbroath survived another moment as Easton picking up the ball again deep in the Arbroath half before running at goal then hitting a left foot shot at Much who punched away before Sukar and Scott combined to save the danger.

Despite falling behind to the early Clyde goal the Lichties game back and it was a beautiful team goal. Mutch found Linn with a goal kick before Linn played the ball back to Hamilton who lofted the ball up the wing to Doris who did well to hold up the ball. Doris fed the ball back to Linn who found Scott who had ran into the box before he dinked the ball back to Skelly who waited for the ball to take an awkward bounce of the artificial surface before hitting the ball past Gibson to score his 3rd goal in 3 games.

Clyde threatened again when Mutch did well to tip over a swerving 25 yard effort from McLaughlin before Linn raced down the wing and had a shot blocked as he cut inside.

Dylan Easton again caused problems as he managed to pick the ball out as both Whatley and Hamilton challenged him before running at goal but Hamilton recovered at the cost of the corner. From the resulting corner the Lichties will be disappointed at their defending as McNiff raced into the crowded box and leapt up to win the ball despite being surrounded by 3 Arbroath defenders to give Clyde the lead again in the 24th minute.

Steven Doris reacted quickly after Little lofted a ball into the Clyde box after a throw in but the striker’s right foot aerial shot was just wide of Gibson’s far post. Easton again at the other end danced into the Arbroath box forcing Mutch into another great save before having to save from the head of MacDonald.

On the stroke of half time Bobby Linn scored his 4th goal in 2 games in another good move from the Lichties. Martin Scott robbed Matthew Flynn of the ball before quickly hitting an outside of the boot pass to the wing where Linn was waiting. As Linn took on two Clyde defenders the ball bobbled into the path of Skelly but he quickly passed back to Linn who had continued his run forward into the box where he calmly slotted a left foot shot across goal past Gibson.

Half Time – Clyde 2 – 2 Arbroath

Both teams were unchanged but Arbroath made a tactical change with Hamilton and Sukar switching positions with the on loan Dundee United defender moving to left back.

As the second half kicked off, the tempo was disrupted as first Martin Scott took a knock and required the trainer. As Scott returned to play, Arbroath captain Mark Whatley required treatment as he fell to the floor with an injury. Minutes later and Mark Whatley had to be replaced by David Gold as injury ended his afternoon.

Sean Higgins picked up a booking in the 64th minute for a foul on Omar Kader. The Lichties came close in the 68th minute when Jason Brown headed just over the bar from a corner kick.

Clyde made a double substitution in the 70th minute when David Gormley and Scott Ferguson came on for Sean Higgins and Matthew Flynn and a minute later had taken the lead.

A long goal kick from keeper John Gibson took a bounce before veteran striker got goal side of Brown slamming a volley past Mutch to give Clyde the lead for the 3rd time. It was a beautiful finish, but a bad goal to lose from a defensive point.

Phil Johnston was booked for a foul on Bobby Linn before Kane Hester and Bryan Prunty came on for Josh Skelly and Steven Doris in the 78th minute.

Bryan Prunty won a free kick on the edge of the box straight away but Linn’s free kick was blocked. Clyde made their final change when former Rangers defender Ross Perry replaced Phil Johnston.

However Clyde suffered a major blow after Dylan Easton had to be stretchered off in the 84th minute. As Clyde attacked down the right wing both Kader and Easton fell awkwardly in a challenge but Easton soon signalled over to the bench that he was in distress.

With all substitutions having being used the Bully Wee had to see out the remaining minutes with 10 men but Arbroath couldn’t find a way through. In the final kick of the ball Gold came close but hit over the bar after good hold up play by Hester.

Full Time – Clyde 3 – 2 Arbroath

C’mon the Lichties!

Possession – Clyde 52% – 48% Arbroath

Total Shots – Clyde 12 – 8 Arbroath

On Target – Clyde 6 – 3 Arbroath

Corners – Clyde 5 – 6 Arbroath

Fouls Committed – Clyde 10 – 6 Arbroath


1 – John Gibson
2 – Ewan McNeil
4 – Martin McNiff
5 – Chris Smith
6 – Scott McLaughlin (c)
7 – Scott Linton
8 – Matt Flynn (Ferguson 70)
10 – Dylan Easton
11 – Sean Higgins (Gormley 70)
16 – Phil Johnston (Perry 81)
18 – Peter MacDonald


9 – David Gormley – 11 70th
14 – Jamie Watson
15 – Michael Oliver
17 – Scott Ferguson – 8 70th
21 – Mark McMillan (GK)
23 – Ross Perry – 16 81st
26 – Kyle Ferguson

Goals – Linton 6, McNiff 24, MacDonald 71

Bookings – Higgins 64, Johnston 75, Gormley 90+5


1 – Robbie Mutch
2 – Ricky Little
3 – Colin Hamilton
4 – Jason Brown
5 – Jassem Sukar
6 – Martin Scott
7 – Omar Kader
8 – Mark Whatley (c) (Gold 53)
9 – Steven Doris (Prunty 78)
10 – Josh Skelly (Hester 78)
11 – Bobby Linn


12 – Bryan Prunty – 9 78th
14 – Kane Hester – 10 78th
15 – Liam Callaghan
16 – Gary Phillips
17 – Ryan McCord
18 – David Gold – 8 53rd
21- Ricky Gomes (GK)

Goals – Skelly 12, Linn 44

Attendance – 559

Referee – Steven Reid
Assistant Referee 1 – Mark McLean
Assistant Referee 2 – Euan Birch

This is a demo store for testing purposes — no orders shall be fulfilled. Dismiss