shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Arbroath vs Dundee

Arbroath 1 - 2 Dundee
08 Jul 2017 - 15:00Gayfield Park, Arbroath

Arbroath 1 – 2 Dundee – Match Summary

The Lichties were a little unfortunate to lose out to Dundee this afternoon at another packed Gayfield. There were 2050 supporters soaking up the sun today as Neil McCann brought the Dundee first team to take on the Lichties.

Arbroath were again without Manager Dick Campbell off the pitch and on the pitch Captain Mark Whatley, Ryan McCord, Gavin Malin and Omar Kader but Bryan Prunty was back in the mix and named on the bench.

Arbroath named the same four trialists as on Thursday, but Jamie Hendry started in midfield alongside Blair Yule.

Jamie Hendry was booked in the 12th minute as he tried to win back possession fouling a Dundee Trialist.

It was the Lichties who took the deserved lead in the 17th minute. Dundee new boy Jack Hendry miscontrolled the ball and Steven Doris was ready to pounce and with Doris getting in front of Hendry, the Dundee man took down inside of the box with referee Colin Steven pointing to the spot. Steven Doris stepped up and slammed the ball past Scott Bain to give Arbroath the lead in the 17th minute.

Despite having only played Aberdeen less than 48 hours early the Lichties were looking full of energy and the Dundee defence were having a real hard time dealing with Doris who was everywhere. The Dens Park side struggled to put real pressure on Ricky Gomes in the Arbroath goal.

Minutes later fro opening the scoring and Gavin Swankie robbed the Dundee defence of the ball inside the 6 yard box but the danger was cleared as the Lichties kept pressing.

Dundee Captain Darren O’Dea was fortunate to escape with only a yellow card after squaring up to Doris after the Arbroath striker won the ball in another Arbroath attack.

Thomas O’Brien smashed a volley at goal as the Lichties kept up the pressure on the team from the Premiership.

Dundee made 7 changes at half time with Scot Allan and Randy Wolters amongst the introductions with the Lichties bringing on Hester and Denholm for Swankie and Skelly.

There was another flash point as David Gold was fouled by Randy Wolters with the Dundee man falling on top of Gold. As the players got to their feet there was almost another Melee with both Wolters and Gold being booked.

Arbroath brought on Brodie, Prunty and Mackenzie for Gomes, Doris and Hamilton and Brodie was called into action with a brilliant point blank save from Wolters.

Arbroath’s final substitute was Michael Wallace for Thomas O”Brien as the Lichties defence took a new look for the final 20 minutes.

Arbroath kept up the pressure and substitute Bryan Prunty chased down a ball on the wing before finding Hester with a brilliant pass and as Hester ran down on Bain it looked like the Lichties were to double their lead but the young striker just pulled his effort wide.

However with the Arbroath defence now unfamiliar it was a cruel blow as Craig Wighton originally hit the post from close range but Fassel El Baktaoui couldn’t miss and drew the Dee level in the 80th minute.

Dundee took the lead 3 minutes later with on loan Celtic player Scot Allan found Randy Wolters and he struck the ball past Brodie.

A cruel end for the Lichties who had looked the more composed side throughout, but still a positive performance against another Premiership side and the new players having more time with their team mates.

Another great crowd and we are hoping for another good game and turn out as we welcome Bolton Wanderers to Gayfield on Tuesday night.

C’mon the Lichties


1 – Ricky Gomes (Brodie 65)
2 – David Gold
3 – Colin Hamilton (c) (Mackenzie 65)
4 – Ricky Little
5 – Thomas O’Brien (Wallace 67)
6 – Jamie Henry (T)
7 – Josh Skelly (Denholm 46)
8 – Blair Yule
9 – Steven Doris (Prunty 65)
10 – Gavin Swankie (Hester 46)
11 – Bobby Linn (Henry 46)


12 – Kane Hester – 10; 46th
14 – Danny Denholm – 7; 46th
15 – Bryan Prunty – 9 ; 65th
16 – Scott-Taylor Mackenzie (T) – 3; 65th
17 – Michael Wallace (T) – 5; 67th
21 – Calum Brodie (T) – 1; 65th

Yellow Cards – Henry 12, Gold 69

Goal – Doris (pen) 17


1 – Scott Bain
2 – Cammy Kerr (Curran 46)
3 – Kevin Holt (Wighton 46)
6 – Darren O’Dea (c) (Williams 60)
17 – Trialist
18 – Paul McGowan (El Baktaoui 46)
21 – Roarie Deacon (Trialist 46)
22 – Jack Hendry (Waddell 46)
24 – Trialist (O’Hara 60)
28 – Lewis Spence (Wolters 46)
29 – Marcus Haber (Allan 46)


10 – Scott Allan – 29; 46th
11 – Danny Williams – 6; 60th
14 – Mark O’Hara – 17; 60th
15 – Trialist – 21; 46th
20 – Fassel El Baktaoui – 18; 46th
23 – Randy Wolters – 28; 46th
25 – Sam Dryden
27 – Jesse Curran – 2; 46th
33 – Craig Wighton – 3; 46th
34 – Kerr Waddell – 22; 46th
35 – Ian Smith
27 – Conor Quigley
36 – Kyle Gourlay
38 – Calum Ferrie

Goals – El Bakhtoui 81, Wolters 84

Yellow Cards – O’Dea 35, Wolters 69

Attendance – 2050

Referee – Colin Steven
Assistant Referee 1 – Anthony Cooper
Assistant Referee 2 – Chris Phillips

This is a demo store for testing purposes — no orders shall be fulfilled. Dismiss